Friday, March 26, 2010

Now listening to...

The bird and the bee, "I can't go for that".
This is a live version of one of the tracks in the new Bird and the Bee album, called Interpreting the Masters Vol 1. A Tribute to Daryl Hall and John Oates. The album turned out to be pretty bland and soulless, basically because Daryl Hall outsings this bird in every song. They use the same sequenced, synthetic and not particularly original sounds all over the album, so it feels repetitive and poor in craftsmanship and concept. Nevertheless, I couldn't resist the idea of a Hall and Oates covers album by an indie/electronic group (because I knew that they would not take an ironic and bullshit approach to a 80's hit). This is what I'm listening to nowadays on my bike.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice

Unknown said...

Hi Hernán, nice blog you have here!This comes a bit late, but I have been listening to The B & the B because you mentioned it and I love what little I know of Hall and Oates (and who wouldn't!). I just meant to say that "the bird" seems to lose out to Daryl H especially in the more souly tracks (She's gone, Sarah smile) and of course in One on One, the ultimate lovemaking ballad, where no one could possible beat not only his singing but also his attitude. "Heard it on the radio" is the one in which B&B come out best, I think... Un beso

Hernan said...

I´m glad you liked it, María Inés. I think their previous album is better. He has a solo career as well. A pesar de tu nombre te escribo en inglés porque no se si entedés castellano o no. Un beso.

Unknown said...

Soy Inés de Lit. Inglesa de la UBA, Hernán... Entiendo castellano pero bueno, vos escribís en inglés y yo te esribo en inglés porque soy re-culta =))) Así que nos conocemos en persona y todo.
Un beso.